Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Travel the World!!

When I visited Dartmouth, I was constantly told to "Take advantage of Dartmouth's money. Travel as much as possible!" I was unsure what this meant, but when I arrived on campus I quickly realized this piece of advice meant exactly that- travel on Dartmouth's dime!

I never thought I would be able to see so many different places and do great work all because Dartmouth was providing me the resources to do the things I wanted to do. Throughout my time at Dartmouth, I was able to do 5 community service/global development programs and a Foreign Study Program (FSP)!

As a Freshman, I traveled to our nation's capital, Washington D.C., to work on homelessness and poverty issues, volunteered in soup kitchens, and met with legislators to discuss poverty alleviation programs.

During my Sophomore winter break, I went to Siuna, Nicaragua (a small town in the northern part of the country) to explore sustainable development methods and health care. The Nicaragua CCESP (run through the Tucker Foundation) was an eye-opening experience to the issues affecting millions of people around the world and how we can work to solve them. Right before my Sophomore Summer, I was a leader for the Katrina Relief Trip to Biloxi, MI to work on helping community members rebuild their town after the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina.

During my Junior Fall, I spent 10 weeks in Paris, France studying French language, literature, and history. This was the most amazing thing I've ever done! While in Paris, I traveled to Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam, and Strasbourg. It was always a dream of mine to study in Paris, and thanks to the D-Plan (our academic calendar) I was able to do it!

Finally, during my Senior year, I returned to Nicaragua as a trip leader to once again explore my passion for global development and cross-cultural exchange. And during Spring Break (March '09) I went to El Rosario, Honduras with 6 other students to organize a leadership skills camp for local teenagers to make a positive difference in their communities.

So..this is what it means to "travel on Dartmouth's dime." The College provides tons of opportunities to explore the world and your passions, and gives you the resources to do so!

Click here to learn more about Dartmouth's Off-Campus Programs!

Passionate about service work and global development? Check out the Tucker Foundation.


No comments:

Post a Comment