Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Savion!!!


My freshman winter, tap-dancer extraordinaire, Savion Glover, came to Hanover. Ever since I saw him tap-dancing with Elmo on Sesame Street I fell in love with his talent. So I HAD to see him! Not only did I get a $5 ticket to see his performance at the Hopkins Center but I was also able to attend a "Meet and Greet" Dinner that the Hop organized. A few friends and I along with a small group of students got to chill with Savion Glover! We ate, and talked about all sorts of things from the origins of our names to the "death" of hip-hop. Savion (Yea, we're on a first name basis!...) stayed for a week doing performances and teaching dance workshops to students and local young dancers.

As expected, Savion's performance was out of this world!!! I was amazed that with just a few wooden boards and three tap dancers such an engaging performance could be delivered. There wasn't an extravagant set design or a bunch of music cues. They just tapped and gave their everything. It has definitely been one of the highlights of my Dartmouth experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment