Monday, July 6, 2009

Skiing Adventures

The one thing that I did at Dartmouth that I never thought I would do is go skiing. We do get snow where I'm from, but I'm a city girl. There aren't any mountains close to where I live, so I never thought that I would ever go skiing...

It was winter term of my sophomore year and my friends thought it would be fun to go skiing. They had never been skiing either, so it definitely was going to be a learning experience for all of us. We decided to go during Winter Carnival, one of Dartmouth's traditions that celebrates fun in the outdoors. During Winter Carnival, the college offers a 99cent ski day. A bus will come and pick you up on campus and take you to the ski way where you only have to pay 99cents for admission. You have your choice of skis or snowboards. My friends and I all chose skis, next time I'll consider the snowboard.

It probably took me 30 minutes to put the skis on and to stand. It was definitely harder than I thought it was going to be. Needless to say, I started on the bunny slope and felt slightly embarrassed when 5yr olds were zooming past me. I did receive a lot of useful advice from the local skiers (yes, including the 5yr olds) which I truly appreciated.

All in all, I had a great time and I really enjoyed my day at the slopes. It was full of laughter, frustration, falling lots of times, but most importantly long lasting memories. Kristin, Daria, and I still reflect on our experience and are happy that we all tried something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment