Monday, July 27, 2009

Let it Snow!

My least favorite thing about Dartmouth is the climate. I love being in this New England rural environment where the air is so fresh (especially coming from the city) and you can watch the leaves change colors. But with all these perks, there has to be a downside: the winter season. The New England weather is absolutely beautiful in the summer time, but the winters can be a little overwhelming. The best advice that I was given was to dress warm.

Despite all the cold weather and mounds of snow, there is an added bonus: Winter Activities! Dartmouth does a great job of keeping the fun going when there may not seem like anything else to do but walk from your dorm room, to class, to Thayer Food Court (one of the dining facilities), and back to your room (yes, that was my routine freshman winter). As a result, I was a bit dispirited and bummed out. So, I vowed that come my sophomore winter I was going to take advantage of all the activities Dartmouth had to offer.

My sophomore winter was great. I went skiing, ice skating on Occum Pond, and even sledding on the golf course. I wouldn't have known that the winter time could be so enjoyable if I had chosen to barricade myself in my room.

Lesson Learned- Don't let the seasons control you, you control the seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment