Thursday, October 29, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance?


I'm in a lot of campus organizations, but my favorite activity by far is Sheba Hip-Hop Dance Troupe because I absolutely love to dance!! There's just something about being able to express different kinds of emotions, various levels of energy, and just pure creativity by moving your body. It should come as no surprise that two of my favorite Dartmouth events were incredible dance performances: one by Savion Glover my sophomore winter and the other by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater my sophomore spring. When I saw Savion, "the indisputable tap virtuoso" of our time, I was completely captivated by his style. His steps were so powerful, they gave me chills because it was as if his rhythms were palpable. Likewise, Ailey was simply breathtaking. I was truly inspired by the way in which he used music from the African-American tradition and modern dance to portray everything from passion and joy to struggle and pain. I even got a chance to meet the dancers afterwards, something I will never forget!!! (See top photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment