Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dancing, Inspirational Speeches, and Singing!


At Dartmouth I have seen so many great shows and heard so many interesting lectures that it's almost hard to pick one. So I've narrowed my choice down to three (lol): one performance, one lecture, and one Dartmouth performance group showcase. I love to dance and one dance company that I've always admired since I was a little girl is the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. During my sophomore year, Dartmouth brought this group to campus and I had the opportunity to see them perform for only $5. If I were at home, in New York, tickets would have cost me a lot more than that. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to see such an amazing group on my college campus...In terms of interesting lectures, last year I had the opportunity to hear Cory Booker, the current mayor of Newark,NJ, speak as part of one of the Rockefeller Center's on going lecture series. He was amazing and truly inspired me as he talked about how he got to where he was today and why he is so passionate about the work that he does. I think it's awesome how Dartmouth always tries to bring such dynamic and diverse speakers to campus...Lastly, I would like to highlight one of Dartmouth's own performance groups, the Gospel Choir. Every term it puts on phenomenal concerts in addition to amazing performances at numerous events. While at the concert, one can't help but to clap and sing along and the Gospel Choir concerts are always packed each term. The great thing about the group is that anyone can join (from students to community members). If I didn't have only 2 1/2 terms left at Dartmouth, I would probably join the Gospel Choir too.

(Picture courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/dartmouthflickr/3947930510/)

No comments:

Post a Comment