Monday, February 1, 2010

Robert Frost Statue

Not many people know that the famous poet Robert Frost spent a few brief months here at Dartmouth as a student. Although he eventually left, he remains a member of the class of 1896. At Dartmouth, if you matriculate, you remain a member of that class forever.

My favorite unconventional place at Dartmouth has to be the Robert Frost statue. If ever I am feeling overwhelmed or just a little lethargic, a quick walk up to his statue refreshes me. It sits in one of the most peaceful wooded areas of the campus, right next to an old stone tower, the site of the Lone Pine (one of the oldest symbols of Dartmouth), and the BEMA, the site of many graduation traditions. In any case, the statue has always been a serene place I can go to clear my head, and not enough Dartmouth students know about it!

Picture by Joe Mehling '69
http://ask.dartmouth.edu/categories/alumni/17.html

1 comment:

  1. A similar statue of Frost is on the University of Colorado campus in Boulder. I do not think Frost went to school at CU, but I think it is the same statue.

    ReplyDelete