Monday, February 15, 2010

Arts, Alumni, and Alumni

I have had a lot of jobs on campus. My freshman year, I worked a significant amount for the Hopkins Center for the Arts in the Box Office - known as the Hop. I sold tickets to members of the Dartmouth community as well as the general public. There are two wonderful things about the arts here at Dartmouth: first, the diverse and often world-renowned performers we bring attract both members of the Dartmouth community and local community members. Second, Dartmouth subsidizes student tickets so you will never pay more than $10 to see any show. We have written about the various awesome performances we have all attended before on the blog, but believe me, we haven't done it justice.

I have also had the chance to work with Dartmouth alumni, as both a member of the Hill Winds Society, and as a worker assigned to class reunions every summer. Both of these opportunities have shown me just how crazy and passionate the alumni of this College can be. They really are Dartmouth's greatest resource, and being a part of that family is wonderful.

For more information on the Hopkins Center for the Arts, click here.

For more information for or about alumni of the college, click here.
picture credit: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~gallery/events/comm06/images/0606-2.jpg

2 comments:

  1. As an "old" alum, class of 1958, I would like to get a more current and relevant picture of the College. The Alumni function focuses so heavily on fund-raising that I am concerned about how accurate a picture of Dartmouth is being painted.
    I would be most interested in a student's view of Dartmouth's alumni.

    Mel Croner '58

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! I believe, and I think that this is true of most current students, that the alumni of Dartmouth are really her greatest asset. I have heard so many stories of students seeking guidance and advice from alums, and just having the best experience. One great organization that I mention in this blog post, is the Hill Winds Society. This is a student organization to fill precisely the gap you mention. Its purpose is to increase interaction between students and alumni, and ultimately educate both about the other. This organization has no fundraising responsibilities whatsoever. I'm not sure where you live, but they visit a lot of regional clubs and host a student-alumni golf tournament you might be interested in every spring.

    Here is a link to the Hill Winds Society website: http://alumni.dartmouth.edu/default.aspx?id=248

    Thank you again for your comment and let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete