Thursday, February 25, 2010

My second family....


Being a part of the Dartmouth Alumni Network is definitely like having a second family. It's really starting to sink in for me how big and useful the network is. As a junior I'm starting to travel to on-site interviews for internships and jobs and it's so nice to be able to get on Facebook, see which 08 and 09 alums are in Boston or New York and have them offer to let you crash at their place for the night or get a bite to eat when you are in town. All of a sudden the people who were seniors when you were an upperclassman have great jobs or are in grad school and they are a GREAT resource. I know that I even have a network of friends who haven't yet graduated but are taking their off-terms (through the D-Plan) in DC, New York, LA, ATL, and I can hit them up if I'm there. It's like you know someone any and everywhere!

This past fall I had a special experience with a Dartmouth alumna named Ricki Fairley-Brown, '78. I worked for her at a multicultural marketing agency called IMAGES USA where she is partner and CMO. I had always wanted to learn about marketing even though it has nothing to do with anything I'm doing at Dartmouth. Ricki is always looking for a Dartmouth intern and gives us preference over other students. She let me get in on substantive and cool projects, like meeting with NBA star Dikembe Mutombo to ask about the best way to pitch the agency to the Orlando Magic. She also fed me A LOT!!! I had an amazing time and I now have an IMAGES Family in Atlanta. Check out Ricki, Simon (a Dartmouth '08, former IMAGES intern turned full-timer), and me goofing around on my last day!

No comments:

Post a Comment