Friday, February 12, 2010

Research, Advising, and More...

Before I started working for the Office of Admissions my sophomore summer, I had a variety of jobs on campus. My freshman year, I worked as a WISP intern in the Biomedical Engineering Lab. WISP stands for Women in Science Project. It is an organization that tries to encourage women to stick with the sciences by offering relevant programming, mentors, internship opportunities, etc. As a WISP intern I did research on what material would be best to use when making things like knee implants in the future.

During my sophomore year I was an Undergraduate Advisor (UGA – which is the equivalent to a Resident Advisor at other schools) for transfer and exchange students. Being an Undergraduate Advisor is a lot of fun because you get to know a group of Dartmouth students, your residents, really well over the course of a term. UGA’s plan social an academic programs for their floors while also working with the other UGAs in their housing cluster to plan fun programs for the housing cluster as a whole.

Another cool place to work on campus is the Rockefeller Center for Public Policy and the Social Sciences (Rocky). I had the opportunity to be a discussion group leader for two of Rocky’s various discussion groups, Women in Leadership and VoxMasters public speaking forum and it was so much fun. All Rocky discussion groups meet once a week, for an hour, to discuss a range of topics over a free dinner. Students are welcome to attend any and/or all the weekly meetings over the course of a term. Attending a discussion group is a great way to meet people from across campus while learning about recent issues in the world at large.

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool! I knew Dartmouth had various opportunities on campus, but I was unaware students could participate on such a high level of involvement. If admitted, I'd love to be engaged in a bunch of discussion groups...it seems like a great way to stay active in the community.

    ReplyDelete