Monday, August 24, 2009

Too many opportunities?

I think my biggest fear coming to Dartmouth was knowing how to navigate and choose between all of the different opportunities, both curricular and extracurricular, that exist on campus. I was anxious about continuing some of the activities I participated in while in high school but also branching out and trying new things. Luckily, I think Dartmouth does a good job in marketing all the different opportunities to students, especially when you are a first-year. Your UGA, or Undergraduate Adviser, who lives on your floor, is a great resource for this kind of information. Unlike RA's at other schools, the UGA has no disciplinary responsibilities. They are really there to give you advice and keep you up to date on different opportunities on campus and deadlines etc. Every UGA also has a small budget from the College to spend on programming for the floor like pizza parties and small get-togethers to discuss picking a major or really anything you want to talk about. Through my UGA and first year adviser, I learned how to apply to study abroad, what extracurriculars I might want to join and a lot about living on campus and taking advantage of all the great things going on at Dartmouth.

Long story short: don't worry about navigating Dartmouth! There are a ton of resources available to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment