Friday, August 14, 2009

Alumni Moments

I have had some awesome and not so great moments with alumni. My first bad encounter was actually for my interview for Dartmouth. All of the Dartmouth applicants met at a center in downtown Baltimore and waited in a room until an alum came and got us. The selection process was random; whichever alum was done with their interviewee came in the room and took whichever student was next in line. Of course I was very nervous because I had no idea who I was going to get.

When I sat down with my interviewer he told me he graduated in the early 70s (which was before Dartmouth was coeducational). The whole interview was kind of awkward because I felt like he wasn't trying to get to know me as a person as opposed to just asking me questions so he could hurry up the process. I remember leaving the interview telling my mom that I didn't think I got into Dartmouth because I thought the interview was bad.

But look where I'm at! It just goes to show that interviews aren't everything and you shouldn't give up on a school because of one bad encounter.

I have also had many great moments with alumni. When I went to Thailand, a former Dartmouth Graduate who now works for IBM Thailand invited me and the other Dartmouth student on my program, Casey, out to lunch. We all just chatted about our experiences and she offered to find Casey and I internships in Thailand for the summer. Also, the Dartmouth Club of Thailand organized a dinner for Casey and I so that we could meet more Dartmouth Alums. Some of them were very prominent figures which made me a little nervous at first. They were all down to earth and it was a great experience interacting with them. I had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment