Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The essay really isn't that bad...really

I was deathly afraid of the college essay. I thought the essay had to be a topic that was really really profound and so obscure that no one ever would think about writing about it. It took me forever to come up with something because I was limiting myself so much. I wrote my essay for Dartmouth about my favorite quote. And truthfully I just happened on the topic. One day I picked up a notebook from junior year and it fell open to a page with this Winston Churchill quote that my prof had used to start the class: "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it..."

ADVICE: Pick something that you can write passionately about...it will be your best writing. Also some "overly" popular topics tend to be: The Great Gatsby, grandparent(s) (Write about whatever you want even your grandparents or Gatsby if that's what your passionate about....but make sure it's unique and says something about you that the rest of your app doesn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment