Thursday, August 13, 2009

Looking for advice? Talk to an alum!


My most memorable experience with an alum of Dartmouth came my sophomore year, while looking for an internship for one of my Leave terms. I remember hearing about Career Services and their network of alumni but I wasn't too sure if they could help me. When I walked in, though, they sat me down at a computer and showed me how to use the database of alumni advisors. Between Career Service and Alumni Relations, there are literally thousands of alumni who have given their personal phone numbers and email addresses so that Dartmouth undergraduates can contact them for advice, guidance, or anything at all. At the time, I thought I wanted to go into the entertainment industry, so I looked up producers, actors, and business people associated with TV, movies, and music. Eventually I found a handful of alums who lived where I was looking and simply sent them an email. The following week I was on the phone with a producer from MSNBC, the head of ESPN International, and an alum who had worked for Comedy Central when he was an undergrad. I think that's when I realized the Dartmouth alum are crazy, passionate, enthusiastic and completely in love with Dartmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment