Friday, April 9, 2010

*TAKE ** THE ** TIME*



As a graduating senior, there are quite a few things I would tell myself... but since I can only choose one, I would have to say learn how to manage your time EARLY ON. It definitely took me over a year to figure out how to effectively manage my time to fit classes, homework, extracurricular activities, work-study, concerts, breakfast/lunch/dinner, dance parties, traveling off-campus, etc. into my schedule. I took most of these activities for granted all through high school because those decisions were already made for me. Everything was planned out so all I ever had to do was show up.

In college, it's a completely different story because YOU make the decisions about where you want to be and what you want to do. Of course, having this kind of freedom is one of the greatest benefits of being a college student because you finally get to make your own rules and explore the things that you're really interested in. It's a double-edged sword however.

I can't tell you how many fantastic lectures and performances I've missed simply because I didn't put them on my calendar. If I could go back in time, I would tell my freshmen self to stay away from the high school mentality of getting involved in everything that sounds remotely interesting; instead focus on your passions. There are over 300 clubs and activities at Dartmouth and they don't need to see my face at every single meeting. Plan more dinners with close friends, sleepovers, and just plain chill time. College is supposed to be one of the most fun experiences of your life ---> make sure to put FUN on your calendar!

Photo courtesy of http://users.wfu.edu/faulcd7/g711.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment