Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sweet Honey in the Rock


The best performance I have seen at Dartmouth (and possibly one of the best I have seen in my life) was during my junior winter by a all female vocal a capella group named Sweet Honey in the Rock. This Grammy award winning group is composed of have 5 members with a 6th member that interprets their songs in American Sign Language. They are incredible vocalists, drawing influence from African traditional songs, jazz, and the gospel music, spirituals, hymns of the African-American church. Their lyrics usually evoke some kind of contemporary narrative about their lives, womanhood, or other cultural issues. They incorporate a lot of audience participation during their shows as well. I have never felt so part of a performance. Not only was the music enrapturing but the sharing of thoughts and feelings between audience and performer was profound and something that I never felt before. I highly encourage you to check out their music!

(Photo courtesy of: http://hop.dartmouth.edu/2008-09/090123-sweethoney.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment