Tuesday, November 17, 2009

SEAD

During my junior winter, I worked for the Summer Enrichment at Dartmouth Program (SEAD) as a high school intern in El Cerrito, CA. The mission of SEAD is to expand educational opportunities for promising high school students in selected under-resourced urban and rural schools. As a SEAD intern, I worked with underprivileged students on homework assignments, SAT Prep and scholarship applications. Even though a lot of them lacked financial resources, I saw first-hand how much of a difference one person could make in terms of motivating them to achieve their very best. I don’t come from an affluent background either, but I was fortunate enough to have a strong support system of mentors and educators who believed in me and did everything they could to see me succeed. I found it only natural to mentor and support the next generation of students such as myself. So many people deplore the pitiful state of America’s school system, and yet very few people actually do anything about it. Working as a SEAD Winter Intern during my leave term is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had because I felt like I was actually having a positive impact on the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment