Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Balancing Act


The most difficult part about college is learning how to balance schoolwork with extracurricular activities. Since we only take three classes, we spend at most ten hours per week in the classroom! Just to give you an example, I am done with classes before noon every day. That is actually really daunting as a freshmen when your whole entire high school experience has been scheduled for you. You have so much free time that, if you are like me and like to keep busy, you will end up joining numerous amounts of clubs and activities and find that you don't have enough time to do your homework. Freshmen year, I would start my homework at 11 pm or midnight because during the day I was either working at the Fitness Center or attending meetings. In college, because there is no one telling you when to do your homework, it is hard to cut out time in order to sit down and actually complete the homework that professors assign or even to just study for an exam. However, I painfully learned the importance of cutting out activities in order to focus on my academics. Unfortunately, there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that you want to do. Therefore, I have learned to dedicate hours towards two - three organizations that I care a lot about and save the rest of my time to be able to study and complete my schoolwork.

(Picture credit: http://trueanduseful.eponym.com/blog/SelfCareWellbeing/_archives/2007/2/27/2762244.html)

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to have ample time to finally focus on my studies and get away from the many trivial tasks that follow me in a day through High School.

    ReplyDelete