Monday, December 7, 2009

My Top Three Reasons


3. The Seasons

As Ben posted, it did finally snow here! Winters at Dartmouth are great because of easy access to Dartmouth's very own ski slopes at the Dartmouth Skiway and other mountains in the area. It is also a wonderland of other winter sports (Dartmouth students have to do 3 gym credits, and winter is a great time for people to learn how to snowshoe, ice fish, snowboard, or ice skate in addition to learning how to snowboard or ski). More importantly, the campus and surrounding area are beautiful when covered with snow. However, the other seasons are great as well. The fall is my favorite season. The mountain and hillsides look like patchwork quilts because of the wide spectrum of colors of the leaves. The spring is gorgeous as well. It is welcome after a long winter and students treat the green like a beach. The summer is how I think Dartmouth is supposed to be experienced however. While Dartmouth can get very cold, it can also get very hot and swimming in the Connecticut river provides the perfect refreshment.

More information on:

The Dartmouth Skiway - http://skiway.dartmouth.edu/

2. The Opportunities

The D-Plan splits the academic year up into four parts and since classes, responsibilities, and the student body on campus change every term, learning opportunities, on-campus leadership and extracurricular opportunities, abroad and internship possibilities, and new friends are always at your reach. The campus has a number of institutions that help facilitate the latter two options. The Tucker Foundation, the Dickey Center for International Understanding, and the Rockefeller Center are a few of the institutions that give money to students to do internships or volunteer work across America or abroad. Career Services can help students find internships as well.

More information on:

The Tucker Foundation - http://www.dartmouth.edu/~tucker/
The Rockefeller Center - http://rockefeller.dartmouth.edu/
Dickey Center - http://dickey.dartmouth.edu/
Career Services - http://www.dartmouth.edu/~csrc/

1. The People

While it is frequently said by my fellow interns and I, the people are Dartmouth are what really makes this place special. I have met some of the most friendly, fun, intelligent, outgoing, and inspiring people that I have ever encountered in my life here. I have learned more from my peers than in my courses and have shared unforgettable experiences with them at Dartmouth, across the US, and abroad. I know that without my Dartmouth community, my experience would not be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment