Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Favorite Prof(s) at Dartmouth

Answering this question is quite tough! I've had so many great professors during my time at Dartmouth, that I definitely can't pinpoint one single professor. My favorite classes were taught by professors that were creative, engaging, and genuinely interested in their students.

The professors that stand out the most are Profs. Christina Gomez, Lisa Baldez, and Michael Bronski. Each one of their courses was fascinating and made me challenge my own beliefs and opinions. I took Prof. Gomez's "Construction of Race in America" during my Sophomore Summer, and is possibly the best class I took as an undergraduate. We studied how race is a socially constructed concept (any Sociology majors out there?) and how our perceptions of race affect our daily interactions and assumptions. It was so eye-opening!

Prof. Baldez is an expert on Latin American politics and issues of race and gender. Her course "Gender and Race in Latin America" explored how racial politics and feminist movements influenced Latin American politics and democracy in the region. As a public policy minor focusing on International Policy, this course allowed to understand the different arenas for influence in policy-making, and how people directly impact the process.

Finally, Prof. Bronski is a constant favorite among students. He is a leading expert on Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) issues and Queer Theory. He also loves movies! I took 2 courses with him, and most recently this Spring I took his "Judaism, Sexuality, and Queerness" class. We discussed the intersection between religion and sexuality, and how Judaism perceives homosexuality and LGBT people. We watched some interesting films, that were old, funny, and definitely entertaining all with a particular message and underlying tones.

As you can see all of these courses were in different departments and focusing on very different themes. That's what a liberal arts education is all about; allowing you to explore various subjects you may have not considered before and challenging you to think differently about the world. Come explore all the courses we have to offer, and take advantage of a class that might push your thinking!

Check out our departments here!

No comments:

Post a Comment